July 10, 2011

Painting Tutorials


If you're looking to learn more about painting minis, I'd recommend checking out the DVDs from Hot Lead. The 3 disc set is pretty comprehensive and perhaps most useful to beginners. There's a lot here that would have saved me quite a bit of trial & error over the years!

For me, the most useful information concerned matte medium and retarder. I've long had mixed results with this stuff. After watching the videos, I came away with a better understanding of their use and saw an immediate improvement in my painting. Using these materials is really helpful for layering and wet-blending.

You'll also see numerous demos of differing techniques. In particular, I thought the example for wet blending was great. I enjoyed watching demos for NMM and I only wish there was more.

I also learned to appreciate keeping a notebook. While I've tried this before, I never saw much value. But by actually applying paint to my pages (rather than just notes) I've discovered that I can plan out the entire palette for a mini. Now I can see what works before slapping down some paint. That was a great suggestion from the video and one I plan to use more often.

Although you're not going to watch 8 hours of video in one sitting, it is worthwhile to grab a copy of Hot Lead's DVD as a reference. Hopefully you'll find it as useful as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment