January 26, 2024

My airbrushes

My current collection of airbrushes. Clockwise from top:
Tamiya HG-SF with aftermarket condensate collector,
GSI Creos PS-770, Iwata HP-CS, and my retired Tamiya HG-T.
 

I've worked with airbrushes for decades, starting with artwork in high school before discovering their use for scale models and game miniatures. I've dabbled with various types, including siphon-fed and gravity-fed paint cups, as well as single and double action design. My current collection of airbrushes are from Tamiya, Iwata, and GSI Creos (aka Mr Hobby).

For years, I relied upon only two airbrushes: the Tamiya Spray-Work HG-T and HG-SF (0.3mm and 0.2mm nozzles, respectively). They covered all my needs, from small details to large areas. Though affordable, parts availability was occasionally an issue. 

Recently, a leaky needle packing prompted my retirement of the HG-T. Seeking a new large nozzle airbrush, I opted for the highly-regarded Iwata HP-CS Eclipse (0.35mm nozzle). It's an awesome general purpose airbrush that's well suited for priming and base coats. I really like how the Iwata handles viscous paints such as Vallejo's Mecha Black primer with ease. The airbrush cleans up easily, too.

For years, my go-to airbrush for miniature painting has been the Tamiya HG-SF (although my new Iwata may soon takeover the throne). Once a model is primed, I routinely turn to this airbrush for applying the base coat. The small cup size is great for quickly switching between colors. Despite having a fine nozzle, it works well with acrylic paint and rarely clogs. 

I also own a GSI Creos PS-770. This is a true speciality airbrush best used with inks and very dilute paint. The fine nozzle (0.18mm) is a double-edged sword: it allows you to spray incredibly fine lines but it’s more likely to clog and difficult to clean. Although I don’t use it often, it’s an incredible tool.

If you enjoy miniature painting but have not done so yet, definitely consider purchasing an airbrush. The Iwata HP-CS Eclipse may be a good place to start.

Links to manufacturer’s site:

No comments:

Post a Comment