January 28, 2024

Return of the King


Since the release of The Old World, many hobbyists have posted pictures of their old Warhammer Fantasy armies. It’s a fun bit of nostalgia. Although I never played WHFB, I did like the miniatures and painted a few of the heroes when I was young. I thought it would be fun to try painting one of these models again.

Rather than buy any of the re-released kits or pay an outrageous price on ebay, I chose to buy & print a 3D file of a Bretonnian-inspired figure. Shown above is the one I picked: Robert the Gallia from Highlands Miniatures. It’s a proxy for the classic Louen Leoncoeur, the king of Bretonnia, riding upon a hippogryph. I built the original (poorly) long ago. Hopefully I'll do a better job!

Using my favorite resin, Phrozen Aqua 4K, I printed the mini on an Elegoo Saturn (original model, not a 4K, 8K, or whatever else is now available). Zoom in and you may see a few layer lines. From past experience, however, it’s likely this will be largely hidden under the primer and final coat of paint.

The sculpt is terrific - lightyears better than the original GW pewter. Highlands Miniatures offers two weapon options: a sword and lance. I printed both to see which pose I prefer; I think it’s the sword.

Hopefully I can paint the model soon after finishing up my Seraphon Stegadon. Unless, of course, I’m distracted by something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment